When I finally decided to go ahead with a BlogCFC/MySQL setup, I had to do some work to get ready for the deployment.
My first issue was the outdated version of MySQL installed on my server. I’m running an older version of RedHat Enterprise Linux (v3), so occasionally I encounter packages that lag significantly behind current development. After upgrading to a supported version of MySQL through a hail of broken RPM dependencies, I was able to run the install script without incident. Everything was cool.
Until I tried to run the blog in a browser! I was reminded that MySQL installs on Linux using case-sensitive table names by default! The BlogCFC MySQL install script created all the tables in all-lower case, but the CFML code uses easier-to-read mixedCase for all the table name references.
After discussing the issue with a knowledgeable friend, I decided that reconfiguring MySQL was the easiest solution. Since this is the only application using MySQL on my server, I wouldn’t have to worry about breaking any other apps. MySQL can be reconfigured by setting the variable lower_case_table_names=1 in /etc/my.cnf.
For more information, check out: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/name-case-sensitivity.html